Undergraduate Medical Training
At the University of Saskatchewan, Point of Care Ultrasound (POCUS) training is integrated into UGME in both pre-clerkship and clerkship. In pre-clerkship, learning is facilitated through a flipped-classroom model that includes video tutorials and hands-on scanning sessions with simulated patients (SP). Student group sizes are typically 2-4 students for each ultrasound machine (and simulated patient) to maximize each learner’s hands-on scanning time. Trainees receive coaching from our instructors who move from group to group
PRE-CLERKSHIP USASK UGME POCUS CURRICULUM
A) POCUS Objectives – Overall
- Generate appropriate point of care ultrasound images for the following indications/applications: X, Y, Z
- Demonstrate appropriate transducer handling and early sonographic skill development.
- Demonstrate basic understanding of transducer and ultrasound physics.
- Describe test performance, operator dependence, safety, and limitations of each indication/application
- Exhibit professional behaviours consistently, including integrity; respect for and effective working relationships with patients, faculty, staff and peers; appropriate attire.
B) Session Overview
Each session will be scheduled after the students have completed the relevant system (so once all students have completed the GI system in early term 2, they will be scheduled for their 120- minute POCUS session, and so on).
Pre-learning (to be completed online in either late Term 1 or early Term 2)
- Intro to POCUS: physics, knobology, and image generation (will be delivered via Canvas- three 20-minute parts including flipped classroom with quizes online).
Term 2 (sessions to be delivered after the system is completed)
- GI/Abdominal POCUS: Free fluid in the abdomen
- Resp POCUS: Pleural effusions, Pneumothorax, Interstitial Lung Syndrome
Term 3 (sessions to be delivered after the system is completed in the previous term)
- CVS/Cardiac POCUS: PCE, RV and LV systolic function
Term 4 (sessions to be delivered after the system is completed)
- Urology POCUS: Hydronephrosis, Bladder Volume, ureteric jets
- Review session(s)
Bold items are eligible for OSCE with an entrustment score of 3/5 (can do with prompts) considered a passing score.
Our video tutorials can be found here
Scanning workshop guides/cases found here
CLERKSHIP USASK UGME POCUS CURRICULUM
Core rotation POCUS tutorials found here:
Selected Topics in Medicine – SHOCK and POCUS – found here:
POCUS Handheld Device (PhD) Program details here:
Clinical Ultrasound Elective in Clerkship details found here: